Prepare it up to three days in advance and store at room temperature. To check out the recipe, keep reading.
2 7-ounce bars milk chocolate
2-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup light-colored corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 egg whites
2 squares (2 ounces) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil; line with chocolate bars. Set pan aside.
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. This should take 5 to 7 minutes. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to pan. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, to 260 degree F, hard-ball stage. Mixture should boil at moderate, steady rate over entire surface. Reaching hard-ball stage should take about 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat; remove thermometer. In a large mixer bowl, immediately beat egg whites with a sturdy, freestanding electric mixer until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Gradually pour hot mixture in a thin stream (slightly less than 1/8 inch diameter) over egg whites, beating on high speed and scraping bowl occasionally. This should take about 3 minutes. (Add mixture slowly to ensure proper blending.)
- Add unsweetened chocolate and peppermint extract. Continue beating on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, just until candy starts to lose its gloss. When beaters are lifted, mixture should fall in a ribbon, but mound on itself and not disappear into remaining mixture. Final beating should take 5 to 6 minutes.
- Immediately spread over chocolate bars in prepared pan. Sprinkle with crushed candies. When firm, lift out of pan; cut into 1-inch squares. Store tightly covered.
Makes 81 pieces.
Make Ahead: Up to 3 days ahead prepare divinity. Store at room temperature in a tightly covered container.
- Desserts, Candy
- North American