Feliz Navidad! I hope everyone is having a fabulous Christmas. To celebrate the season I've compiled a list of fun facts that are related to Christmas. These useless tidbits are great conversation starters. For example, when you are put on the spot by your nosy old aunt, you can mention that if she received all of the presents in the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" she would receive exactly 364 gifts.
For more interesting facts about Christmas,
- Holly berries are poisonous.
- Charles Dickens wrote "A Christmas Carol" in just six weeks.
- Coca-cola was the first beverage company to use Santa as part of their winter promotion. The character that we know as Santa was the one they used on their Coke cans.
- Swan, goose, and peacock were all once consumed at lavish Christmas meals.
- Over 1.76 billion candy canes are produced during Christmas.
- Christmas was banned in Boston in the late 1600s because the Pilgrims believed it was too decadent. Anyone spreading Christmas cheer was fined.
- The story of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was originally written as a sales gimmick by the Montgomery Ward Company in 1939.
- Gingerbread houses came into popularity after the Brothers Grimm wrote the story of Hansel & Gretel.
- Candy canes were originally given to children during mass. The treat was rewarded to kids who behaved while in church.
Got a fun fact about Christmas? Please share with me below!