This morning I was at Starbucks during my daily pit stop and I found myself staring at all the pastries in the glass case. As I looked at the large round sugar cookies I thought when was the last time I made classic sugar cookies? Sure I made them around the holidays, but those were different, those were the kind of sugar cookies that you cut out with a fun cookie cutter and festively decorate with colored frosting. The sugar cookie I'm craving are the buttery, soft, chewy big ones that are perfect after a deli sandwich or for an afternoon snack or for a totally unhealthy breakfast (FitSugar is going to kill me when she reads that). Ironically I can't believe we haven't featured a Sugar cookie recipe yet... this is after all, YumSugar. To see if you have to make a trip to the grocery store before you make these scrumptious cookies, read more
3 Cups all-purpose flour
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1 3/4 Cups granulated sugar
1/4 Cup packed light-brown sugar
1 Tablespoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 Cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks), softened
2 large eggs
Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl; set aside.
- Put sugars and lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed 30 seconds. Add butter; mix until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Mix in eggs, 1 at a time, and then the lemon juice. Reduce speed; gradually add flour mixture, and mix until just combined.
- Scoop dough using a 2-inch ice cream scoop; space cookies 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Flatten cookies slightly with a spatula. Sprinkle tops with sanding sugar, then lightly brush with a wet pastry brush; sprinkle with more sanding sugar.
- Bake cookies until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks using a spatula; let cool completely.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
Makes 20 3 1/2 inch cookies.