Who says an affordable meal has to be boring? This recipe for coconut mango chicken proves that exotic doesn't always mean expensive. For just under $10, you can feed four people with an exciting chicken preparation. Simply simmer boneless breasts in a mixture of coconut milk and chicken broth. Add chunks of fresh mango and serve with a side of black beans. Voila! Not your regular weekly chicken, but still a dinner that's quick, uncomplicated, and most important, scrumptious. To get the recipe,
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup coconut milk
1 mango, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Salt and pepper
Two 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped mint
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the coriander, and stir for about 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, lower the heat and simmer for 3 minutes, scraping up any browned bits; transfer to a plate.
- Add the coconut milk to the skillet, increase the heat and boil to reduce by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in the mango and cook until warmed through. Return the chicken to the skillet, toss and remove from the heat; season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, simmer the black beans over low heat. Stir in the lime juice and 3 tablespoons mint.
- Divide the beans among 4 plates. Top with the chicken and remaining mint.
- Poultry, Main Dishes
- South American