Although the guest of honor at a baby shower is not allowed to drink (for obvious reasons) that doesn't mean it's ok to deprive the other guests from toasting the unborn baby. Per your requests, I am planning a baby shower for the pregnant actress Naomi Watts this week for you to use as an inspiration to create your own baby showers for your friends and family. Baby blue and pale pink are the source of inspiration behind this spring time luncheon. I've made the invitations and proposed a menu and now it's time to talk about the aforementioned drinks including a refreshing non-alcoholic option, so read more
For the pregnant partier, pitchers of fresh sparkling and still water flavored with lemon and lime are a must. Or flavor the water with your own combination of fresh herbs (basil, rosemary, or mint), cucumbers, oranges, pineapple, ginger, vanilla bean, or berries. Fill a beautiful punch bowl with a non-alcoholic
Ginger Pineapple Sparkling Punch
. Mix up the alcoholic version in the form of a
Vodka Pineapple Cocktail
. Buy a case of your favorite white, or sparkling wine, and keep plenty of it chilled. A crisp, light to medium bodied white wine (such as a Sauvignon Blanc, Reisling, or Pinot Blanc) will pair nicely with the light soup, salad, and sandwich menu. Highfield Estate Sauvignon Blanc is an excellent wine to try at an affordable price. When buying large quantities of sparkling wine choose a lesser known, yet equally as delicious, variety such as a Spanish Cava or an Italian Prosecco.
For ginger syrup:
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1 cup thinly sliced unpeeled fresh ginger (1/4 lb; from two 5-inch-long pieces)
3 cups unsweetened pineapple juice, chilled
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (3 to 5 lemons)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (4 to 6 limes)
3 cups sparkling water, chilled
4 cups ice cubes
Garnish: lemon and lime slices
Special equipment: a small punch bowl or pitcher
- Make ginger syrup: Bring water, sugar, and ginger to a boil in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes, then remove from heat and steep, uncovered, 15 minutes. Pour syrup through a sieve into a bowl, discarding ginger. Chill, covered, until cold, about 2 hours.
- Make punch: Stir together ginger syrup and fruit juices in a punch bowl or pitcher.
- Stir in sparkling water and ice.
Make ahead: ginger syrup keeps, covered and chilled, 2 weeks.
1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
1-ounce orange liqueur, recommended: Cointreau
1/2-ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
sugar, for the rim (optional)
Fresh wedges of pineapple
- Chill a martini glass in the freezer.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the pineapple juice, vodka, orange liqueur, and lime juice. Cover and shake vigorously, until combined and chilled, about 30 seconds. (In general, by the time the shaker mists up the drink is ready.)
- Scatter some sugar onto a small plate, wet the rim of the glass and dip into sugar.
- Strain the drink into the chilled glass.
- Skewer the pineapple and cherry and drop into the cocktail. Cheers.
Have a fabulous cocktail recipe perfect for a baby shower? Share it with us below!