The book party that I'm planning begins in the late afternoon - between lunch and dinner - so a light, afternoon snack will be great for guests. Choose dishes that fit the theme, time, and tone of your book. If certain foods play a prominent role in the book, make variations of those dishes. Pride & Prejudice will be the topic of discussion, and since it's a book about the fabulous frivolity of girls, the menu will consist of appropriately girlie dishes. Wrap long, skinny breadsticks with paper thin slices of proscuitto. An assortment of homemade tea sandwiches are dainty, bite sized, and perfect to munch on while chatting about the delicious Mr. Darcy. You can find the all vegetarian recipes for radish, apple and cheddar, and goat cheese chive tea sandwiches if you
1/2 bar (4 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
8 slices (sandwich-size) whole-grain pumpernickel bread
4 large red radishes, ends trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
4 leaves Bibb lettuce, or butter lettuce, ribs removed
- Spoon 1 tablespoon cream cheese in center of each slice of bread, spreading to the top and bottom, leaving a 3/4-inch border on sides. Layer half of bread slices with radish slices, overlapping slightly.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper; top with lettuce and remaining bread slices (cream cheese side down) to make 4 sandwiches.
- With a serrated knife, trim off crusts; cut each sandwich in half. Serve.
1 large loaf (1100g) or two small loaves (550)g artisan style raisin walnut bread
1/4 cup honey and Dijon mustard (50 mL)
6 Granny Smith apples
10 slices extra old white cheddar cheese
- Slice large loaf into 10 slices (to make 5 sandwiches).
- Spread each slice with honey mustard.
- Thinly slice apples with a mandolin or a sharp knife.
- Top bread with a single layer each of cheese and apple slices.
- Cut crusts off and cut each sandwich length-wise into three pieces.
Makes 30 sandwiches.
8 ounces fresh goat cheese
24 very thin slices of white sandwich bread, crusts removed
1 medium bunch watercress leaves, enough to make about 2 lightly packed cups
2 bunches of fresh chives, finely snipped to make 1/2 cup
2 tablespoons homemade or prepared mayonnaise
- Spread goat cheese liberally on all the bread slices. Arrange the watercress leaves in an even layer on 12 of the bread slices. Top each of these slices with a second slice of bread, goat cheese side down.
- Place the chives in a small shallow bowl. Halve each sandwich on the diagonal. Using a small spatula, carefully spread mayonnaise along the long side of one tea sandwich, and then dip this long edge into the chopped chives. Repeat with each tea sandwich.
Makes 2 dozen.