Love, love, love. February was all about love... but what if you're like me and single (without anyone to love)? Love yourself of course! This week I am planning a love themed party that is all about you celebrating your self love. Write yourself a lovely note, make yourself your favorite dishes and pair them with your favorite drinks. Taking the time out to really take care of yourself is important for your mind, body, soul, and overall well being. This party, that I am calling celebration you (or celebration me, if you prefer), is like getting your beauty sleep. On Friday I am going to be home alone (woo hoo!) and will take complete advantage of the evening. This afternoon I will make sure that everything is clean and organized so when I get home from work tomorrow - with a beautiful bouquet of flowers in my hands - I can slip into something comfortable and relax. I'll light my favorite soothing scented candles and turn the heater up high so the house is cozy and warm. To really make myself feel glowing inside, and beautiful on the outside, I'll give myself a few at home spa treatments between dinner and dessert. I consulted BellaSugar and she helped me come up with simple scrubs and soaks that can be made from everyday ingredients. For these easy at home spa recipes,
1 medium cucumber peeled and grated - use a cheese grater
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup kosher salt or sea salt
In a small bowl, mix the cucumber and the buttermilk together. Add the salt and blend the mixture into a thick paste. Wait five minutes. Apply the scrub to your face and body making sure to pay attention to dry areas like your knees, elbows and ankles, and then rinse off the scrub.
Please note: If you are going to use this scrub in the shower, use before shaving so that the salt doesn't irritate your newly shaved skin.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon of coarse salt, such as Kosher Salt, or Sea Salt
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (but not hot)
1 tbs. honey
- Beat the egg in a small bowl until frothy and well-mixed.
- Slowly add the liquid coconut oil and honey, beating until your mask is the consistency of mayonnaise.
- Take an empty toilet tissue roll and set it on end in a clean bowl. Spoon mixture into the cardboard toilet paper roll (or consider using an empty deoderant container). Place tube, in the bowl, in the freezer overnight.
- To use, peel away just the top 1/4 inch of the cardboard roll and smooth the frozen stick over your face (think of it as a push up pop). Leave your mask on for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse off with warm water.
- Return the cream stick covered with plastic wrap and frozen between uses.
- Particularly soothing on a sunburn. Keeps indefinitely.
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mash the banana in a small bowl until completely smooth.
- Add mayonnaise and oil and blend until creamy.
- Use immediately. Apply this mask to hair, cover your head with plastic wrap and relax for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water and shampoo as usual.