I love making a cake as much as I do eating one, and have decided that there is no better way to celebrate myself than to make myself a fancy and scrumptious cake. The cake will be the final extravagant touch to an intimate dinner party I am hosting. I'm celebrating how wonderful I am by making a meal that I will enjoy all by myself. Why? Because I deserve it! I am challenging you to host this party of one with me reader! I've already decided I will start the night with candied walnuts followed by crab cake salad and a goat cheese souffle. No party is complete without a super self-indulgent dessert and I'm going to make a cake I've never made before:
Red Velvet Cake
! If cream cheese frosting is a favorite of yours check out this recipe,
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 level tablespoons cocoa
3 bottles red food color
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (for best results, sift 3 times before using)
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine, room temperature
1 pound confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 cup finely chopped pecans, optional
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cake: Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well each time.
- Mix cocoa and food color until cocoa is dissolved in food color. Then mix with egg, butter, sugar mixture.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Mix baking soda and buttermilk together.
- With the mixer on low speed, add flour and buttermilk mixture alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Mix using 1/3 of flour or milk each time.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-inch pans and bake oven for 25-30 minutes. Let cool and make the frosting.
- Frosting: Place cream cheese and margarine in a medium bowl. With a handheld electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, pecans if using, and vanilla. Beat, on low speed to combine. If too soft, chill until slightly stiff, about 10 minutes, before using.
- Spread cake layers and outside of cakes with frosting.
Makes 1 cake.
If you are hosting a celebration you party, what dessert will you spoil yourself with? Tell me about it below. Be sure to check back all this week for the rest of the party plan including at home spa tips.