A scrumptious fruit pie is the perfect conclusion to an end of summer barbeque. As guests may expect a cold ice cream dessert, a perfect pie can be a pleasant surprise. It can be made the day before the party and becomes a spectacular centerpiece during the event. Enjoy the pie when the sun is setting and everyone is lazy from the main course. This recipe is for blueberry pie, but feel free to substitute your favorite summer fruit — peaches, raspberries, and blackberries all make for absolutely delicious pies. To see the recipe,
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 cup ice water
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar, divided
3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 cups fresh blueberries
1 1/2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, melted
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1/4 cup flour and ice water, stirring with a whisk until well-blended. Combine 1 1/4 cups flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add slurry; mix with a fork until flour mixture is moist.
- Gently press two-thirds of dough into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with additional plastic wrap.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Press remaining dough into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with additional plastic wrap. Roll dough into a 9-inch circle. Freeze both portions of dough 10 minutes. Working with larger portion of dough, remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap; fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap.
- To prepare the filling, combine 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl, and sprinkle over blueberries. Toss gently. Stir in butter and vanilla. Spoon blueberry mixture into crust.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Remove top sheet of plastic wrap from remaining dough. Cut dough into 6 (1 1/2-inch) strips. Gently remove dough strips from bottom sheet of plastic wrap; arrange in a lattice design over blueberry mixture. Seal dough strips to edge of crust. Place pie on a baking sheet covered with foil. Sprinkle lattice with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until crust is browned and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutritional Information: CALORIES 333(24% from fat); FAT 8.9g (sat 2.9g,mono 2.7g,poly 2.2g); PROTEIN 3.2g; CHOLESTEROL 6mg; CALCIUM 11mg; SODIUM 139mg; FIBER 3.6g; IRON 1.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 62.3g