Since the fashion week party I'm throwing takes culinary inspiration from the Big Apple, I'm sticking with the theme and making a New York-inspired cheesecake for dessert.
To encourage that guests mingle, I'm going for a menu of mostly single-serving offerings. Dessert will be no exception: These mini-cheesecake snacks pack rich, chocolatey indulgence into pretty, bite-sized packages. To get the recipe,
3/4 cup chocolate cookie crumbs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
20 caramels, unwrapped
1/4 cup half-and-half
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sour cream
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup shortening or butter
- Make the crust: Heat oven to 350°F. Line 8-inch square baking pan with double thickness of aluminum foil, extending foil over ends of pan. Spray foil with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine all crust ingredients in small bowl. Press onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Make the filling: Combine caramels and half and half in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 1 minute; stir. Continue microwaving 30 seconds; stir until smooth. Pour over crust in pan. Sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate while preparing cream cheese mixture.
- Combine cream cheese and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy but just until the ingredients are combined. Add egg and vanilla, beating just until combined. Stir in sour cream by hand. Pour over caramel mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until just set 2 inches from edge of pan. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Loosely cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours. Use foil to lift cheesecake from pan. Cut into 36 squares.
- Make the coating: Place cooling rack over large piece of waxed paper on counter.
- Combine chocolate chips and shortening or butter in 1-quart saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pierce each cheesecake square with fork. Spoon chocolate over top and sides of each cheesecake square, letting excess chocolate drip back into pan. Place onto cooling rack. Let stand about 20 minutes or until chocolate is firm. Store refrigerated.
Serves 12 to 15.
- Desserts, Cheesecake
- North American