A lot of manly men will be attending my hoedown so I've decided to get a keg of beer. When selecting a keg, choose a versatile, easy-to-drink beer that's neither high- or lowbrow. I've ordered a keg of Lagunitas, an IPA native to my hometown.
For the ladies, offer a spicy rum punch. Made with a spiced sugar syrup, rum, and fresh lemon and orange juices, this punch is refreshing and potent.
Of course, water, soda, and wine are always good to have on hand at any event, so stock up on those as well. Get the punch recipe when you
1 1/2 3- to 4-inch-long cinnamon sticks
2 whole nutmegs
1 1/2 tablespoons whole allspice berries
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups Simple Syrup
2 1/4 cups Charbay Rum or 10 Cane Rum
1 1/4 cups fresh lemon juice
1 1/4 cups fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon Fee Brothers Peach Bitters or other bitters
1 block of ice
Lemon and orange slices
- Place cinnamon and nutmeg in resealable plastic bag; crack into pieces using mallet or rolling pin.
- Transfer to spice grinder. Add allspice; blend to coarse powder.
- Transfer 1 tablespoon to shallow dish; mix in 1/3 cup sugar. Set spiced sugar aside.
- Stir remaining spice powder in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until just beginning to smoke, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool 5 minutes. Repeat heating and cooling process 3 more times until spices are very fragrant but not burned.
- Add syrup; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Strain through sieve into bowl. Cool.
- Mix 3/4 cup spice syrup, rum, lemon juice, orange juice, and bitters in punch bowl. Add ice and citrus slices. Rub 1 orange slice around rim of 8 glasses to moisten; dip glasses into spiced sugar. Place glasses around punchbowl.
- Cocktails, Drinks