Last week, while I was enjoying vacation time in Spain, I ended up planning a party. Actually it was a concert for the rock group, Cargados Band. A concert was scheduled, but I realized that the all male group was in desperate need of an event planner, personal assistant, and organizer. The first thing on my list of things to do: make a flyer announcing the concert. To see how I turned a photo into an ad for a concert,
To make a flyer similar to the one you see here, you will need:
- a Photoshop type of program that allows you to alter images
- a printing store such as Kinkos I used Don Folio
To assemble the flyer:
- Start by choosing your base image. Antonio, the singer, and I spent two hours searching for images on the internet. Cargados means weighed down and when pronounced with a Spanish accent, band sounds like van the plural form of the verb to go. With that in mind, we looked for pics of buses that were filled with people, alcohol, cigarettes, etc. While I could see a cool picture in my head, I could not find one anywhere.
Feeling desperate I browsed my personal pictures. Earlier that day when I was leaving my best friend's house, I stumbled upon an interesting scene. Bottles and bottles of beer were broken on the street and I stopped to snap a few pictures. In the end, we thought it was perfect and we decided to use this image as the basis for the flyer:
- Drag the image into Photoshop and cut it down to size. In our case, we cropped it so just the broken bottles were visible.
- Next, we changed the coloring and the shading of the image to give it an orangish hue.
- Then the we added the text in bright blue large, block letters (font: Jazz Let). Here's what it said:
Concierto Cargados Band
domingo 9 de septiembre en ayesta a las 21.00
(en la ribera junto a plaza potro)
colaboran: taberna paco acedo, dedi artesanta, yumsugar, rave mayorista, ayesta, el diablo, fruteria hnos navarro, dori y por supesto A.C. Zona Libre.
Translation: Cargados Band in Concert
Sunday September 9 @ 9:00pm in Ayesta
(on Ribera Street next to Potro Plaza)
collaborators: taberna paco acedo, dedi artesanta, yumsugar, rave mayorista, ayesta, el diablo, fruteria hnos navarro, dori y por supesto A.C. Zona Libre.
- When we were satisfied with the color and look of the flyer, we burned it to a disk and ran it over to our friend Jorge at Don Folio. He printed the flyers out on large glossy paper. When finished, we took them and plastered them all over town.
For more details on the amazing concert plan, stay tuned all week!