Although the Inauguration isn't until next Tuesday, I'm inviting friends over to kick off the ceremony on Sunday. Since Barack Obama was senator in Chicago, the menu has a Chicago theme. After finishing the deep-dish pizzas, wait an hour before serving this decadent dessert. Eli's is the Windy City's famous bakery known for its chocolate chip cheesecake. While you could order a cheesecake from Eli's and have it delivered, I recommend whipping up a homemade variation. This recipe features sour cream (like most Chicago-style cheesecakes) and results in a cake that is firm on the outside, but deliciously creamy on the inside.
To look at the recipe, read more.
1 cup(s) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 tablespoon(s) Unsweetened Cocoa
2 ounce(s) White Chocolate Baking Bar
2/3 cup(s) crushed graham crackers
1/4 cup(s) granulate white sugar
1/3 cup(s) (2/3 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 1/4 cup(s) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup(s) granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup(s) sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch springform cake pan.
- To make the crust, in a small bowl, mix together the crushed graham crackers, cocoa, and sugar. Stir in the butter. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Press firmly to distribute the crust mixture onto the bottom and halfway up the sides of the pan. Chill the crust while making the filling.
- To make the filling, in a medium-size bowl, beat the cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar with an electric mixer at low speed until smooth.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, increasing the speed slightly as the mixture softens.
- Beat in the sour cream. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips with a large spoon.
- Pour the filling into the chilled crust and set the pan on a baking tray. Bake for 75 minutes, or until firm. The cheesecake may deflate and crack as it cools, so turn off the oven and let cool slowly in the oven for about 1 hour with the oven door open.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight before removing from the pan.
- Sprinkle the top with grated white chocolate. This cheesecake is best if eaten within 3 days of baking.
- Cheesecake, Desserts
- North American