KatieSugar is narrowing in on a very exciting "first" moment. Sure she has plenty of first moments to come - her first words, the first time she walks, and much further down the line, her first kiss - but to me her first birthday party is by far the most important. Although she most likely won't remember this party too well (and not from over drinking!) it will be a milestone for Katie's parents, grandparents, and all those who love this little girl. I'm taking on all of the party plans and started with the invites before moving onto the menu. Everyone knows that Katie Sugar will be drinking milk and formula but what about the of age guests? To see the answer to that question
The theme of the food is mini and the look takes its cue from Katie's striped pink bedroom. To incorporate these ideas (miniature and pink) into the drinks, fill tiny shot glasses with a decadent
. To really emphasize the fact that it's a baby's birthday party, instead of serving the watermelon martini in your typical martini glass, pour it into baby bottles. Don't forget pink champagne for those who prefer not to partake in hard liquor (I like Roederer Estate Anderson Valley Brut Rose), beer for Brian and the boys, and
for a non-alcoholic refreshing option.
From Inside SCV
1 oz white rum
1 oz Amaretto
1 oz double cream
- Blend all ingredients with ice until smooth.
- Pour into a hurricane or wine glass garnished with fresh strawberry on the rim.
Makes 1 cocktail.
From Be My Guest: Theme Party Savoir-Faire by Rena Kirdar Sindi
3 oz vodka
2 oz fresh muddled watermelon (seedless and strained)
dash of sugar
- Combine ingredients, shake over ice and serve up in a chilled martini glass (or bottle!).
- Garnish with a fresh slice of watermelon.
1 1/4 cup sugar (if using unsweetened cranberry juice, 1 cup if using sweetened)
4 cups water (divided)
1 cup cranberry juice
1 cup lemon juice
- Make a simple syrup by heating sugar and 1 cup of the water in a small saucepan until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Stir together the remaining water, cranberry juice, lemon juice and simple syrup. Make adjustments to taste.
- Chill for an hour, or add ice to cool.