When selecting a beverage to pair with a sporting event, like a basketball tournament, beer is the first thing that comes to mind. However, I know some of the Sugar girls dislike beer, so I'm going to serve shandys.
A shandy is a British beer cocktail that combines brew with lemonade. This recipe from the current issue of Food & Wine magazine jazzes up the traditional shandy by adding in ginger. Refreshing and sparkling, this drink looks perfect for Spring.
In case guests prefer to sip something else, I'll also have chilled white wine and sparkling water. To learn how to make the ginger shandies,
- Three 11.2 ounce bottles of chilled Hoegaarden beer
- One 12-ounce bottle chilled ginger beer
- 1 thinly sliced lemon
- Mint springs, for garnish
- In a large pitcher, combine the Hoegaarden with the ginger beer. Stir in most of the lemon slices and mint springs.
- Fill 6 rocks glasses with ice. Add the remaining lemon slices to the glasses and pour in the shandy. Garnish each drink with a mint sprig and serve.
- Drinks, Cocktails