As the stars are busy in Hollywood pre-partying and buffing up their beautiful bods, I am busy planning my Oscars Viewing party. I want this to be one glamorous party so I am paying special attention to all of the tiny little details. I've sent my guests a gorgeous gold invitation, cooked up an elaborate menu using Wolfgang Puck's after-party recipes including crispy appetizers, mouth-watering mains, and delicious desserts, and practiced mixing my fun best picture nominee inspired cocktails. Like an award winning film, no memorable party is complete without a fabulous backdrop to set the scene. To see my recommendations on how to transform your living room with chic, simple decorations,
- I know it may sound cheesy, but put a red carpet on the walkway leading up to your house.
You'll be surprised at how much guests will enjoy this and it will get people in the party mood from the second they leave their car. I've done this for two parties that I've hosted (once with a red carpet and another time with a purple carpet) and it's a great way to get the event started on the right foot. At a local craft store buy the cheapest, widest piece of red fabric you can find. Do not be tempted by the expensive pretty red satins, or pricey elegant red velvets, people will be walking on it so a bright vibrant red cotton is fine. Ask for several yards of the fabric and if it is super wide, cut the fabric in half down the middle. Lay the fabric on the ground leading up to your front door.
- Inside, set the scene with soft golden lighting from candles and white Christmas lights.
- If you have access to a spotlight, set it up outside in front of your house.
- Create a comfortable viewing area with lots of roomy sofas and chairs in the room with the biggest television.
- Keep in mind where you will be arranging the platters of food. Serve the appetizers in one place and the main in the room where you will be watching the show. Set slices of the pizza and salad on different plates so guests can grab a bite and take a seat quickly.
- Present the food in a very pleasing manner: dress the table and put things (cardboard boxes, phone books, etc) underneath a spectacular golden tablecloth so certain dishes are higher up and other dishes are lower down adding depth and texture to your decor.
- Fill every vase you have with fragrant white elegant flowers (roses, calla lilies, orchids, poppies or even peonies) and place the vases lavishly around your event space.
- Print out ballots and have your guests fill them out upon arrival.
- Sprinkle gold glitter and metallic confetti on your tables for a little added glitz.
- Check out the local party supply store for any interesting Hollywood/Oscars memorabilia they may have that you can incorporate into your look.
- Keep the color palette warm and inviting with white, cream, butter, and gold items.
- Use linen napkins and tie each one with a gold ribbon.
- Mix the drinks before guests arrive and set them up in your bar.
- Fill up big buckets with ice, champagne, and waters. Line up your best glasses like little Oscar statues waiting for use by guests.
Have an awesome decorating idea for an Oscar themed party? Please share it with us below. Check back for more Oscars party planning-we still have to put together the playlist!