Fab and I are so excited for the premiere of the Sex and the City movie that we are hosting a SATC marathon! The party will be in Fab's new apartment, so it's also a housewarming. Since food is featured frequently in SATC, I'll be serving heavy appetizers inspired by episodes of the show. Carrie liked to go out partying while Aidan preferred staying in and eating fried chicken. Miranda asked Charlotte if her hoo-ha would like some French fries. After her book party, Carrie stops to eat a hot dog with her cab driver. Miranda orders Chinese so frequently the Shanghai Garden knows her order. And Samantha experiences raw food with Smith.
Keeping all that in mind, offer guests a smörgåsbord of delicious bites. Chicken fingers with French fries and spicy ketchup, mini-hot dogs and maple mustard, crab salad in crisp wontons, and raw tacos in lettuce cups. For these delicious recipes,
1-1/2 to 2 pounds chicken tenders
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
1 recipe Red Eye Ketchup (see recipe below)
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons peanut oil or cooking oil
2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 of a 32-ounce package frozen french-fried crinkle-cut potatoes
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup finely chopped peanuts*
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place chicken in a large self-sealing plastic bag set in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, salt, and hot pepper sauce. Pour over chicken in bag. Close bag. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally. Prepare Red Eye Ketchup; cover and chill until serving time.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the 2 tablespoons peanut oil, 2 tablespoons cilantro, and chipotle chili powder. Add french fries and toss to coat. Spread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow dish combine flour, chopped peanuts, the remaining 1/4 cup cilantro, and black pepper.
- Remove chicken pieces from buttermilk mixture; shaking off excess. Coat chicken with flour mixture a few pieces at a time.
- In a deep 12-inch cast iron skillet or extra-large deep skillet heat the remaining 2 cups peanut oil over medium heat until a bread cube dropped into the oil browns quickly.
- Using tongs, carefully add 4 coated chicken tenders to skillet. (Once the chicken has been added, maintain oil temperature at 325 degree F.) Fry chicken in hot oil about 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degree F) and coating is golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Transfer to baking sheet along with fries.
- Reduce oven to 300 degree F and keep chicken and fries in warm oven while frying remaining chicken. Serve chicken fingers and fries with Red Eye Ketchup.
Red Eye Ketchup: in a small saucepan combine 1 cup ketchup, 2 teaspoons instant coffee crystals, and 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder. Cook and stir over medium heat until coffee crystals are dissolved. Cover and chill until serving time.
- Main Dishes, Poultry
- North American
Two 12-ounce packages refrigerated biscuit dough
1 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, 2 teaspoons sauce reserved
1 cup ketchup
One 12-ounce package mini cocktail franks
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Separate the biscuits and cut each in half. Pull each half into an oblong shape to resemble a hot dog bun. Place the dough on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Cool, then split in half lengthwise, being careful not to slice all the way through.
- While the rolls bake, in a small bowl, combine the mustard and maple syrup.
- In a food processor, puree the chipotle chile with the reserved adobo sauce and ketchup; spoon into another small bowl.
- In a microwave, heat the cocktail franks; place one in each bun. Serve with the two dipping sauces.
Makes 12 mini dogs.
- Appetizers, Finger Foods
- North American
For the Wonton Cups:
18 wonton wrappers, thawed (if frozen)
2 teaspoons canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the dressing:
1 teaspoon lime zest
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil
For the salad:
1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1/2 cup finely diced mango
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 2 mini-muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Brush the wonton wrappers with oil, and place each wrapper into a section of a mini-muffin tin. Gently press each wrapper into the tin and arrange so that it forms a cup shape. The wrapper will overlap itself and stick up out of the cup. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until browned and crisp. Remove from the tin and allow wrappers to cool.
- Meanwhile whisk together the zest, lime juice, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes. Add the oil and whisk until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the crabmeat, celery, mango, scallion and cilantro. Add dressing and toss to combine. Fill each cup with the crab salad and serve.
- Finger Foods, Appetizers
- Other Asian
2 med carrots, grated
1 lrg zucchini, grated
1¾ cups pepitas, ground
1 basket of cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in halves
2 lrg jalapenos, minced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 lrg shallot, minced
cilanto, 1 tightly packed handful, chopped
2 limes, juiced of
½ tsp cumin,chili powder,garlic powder
¼ tsp cayanne
drizzle bragg's aminos
drizzle apple cider vinegar
romaine lettuce leaves, for serving
- Combine zucchini,carrots,pepitas,and spices toss.
- Add remaining vegetables, cilantro and lime juice toss. Drizzle Bragg’s and Vinegar a bit at a time to taste and toss.
- Serve in the middle of a lettuce cup.
Makes about 4 large cups.
- Appetizers, Vegetables