Recently I was in need of a seasonal appetizer that would satiate both vegetarians and carnivores alike. After watching an episode of Giada at Home, I decided to try her grilled corn and cheese cakes. Instead of using frozen corn, I substituted fresh corn cut off the cob.
The recipe has mixed reviews, and I was a little worried that the resulting bite wouldn't be embraced by my all-female guests. However, these cakes blew my friends and I away! They were amazing.
The corn flavor is enhanced by spicy pepper Jack cheese, and the panko provides a perfectly crisp crust. Although they are rich, they're not heavy; they are satisfying and filling but still light. These cakes pair perfectly with a glass of sparkling wine! I highly recommend you make this hors d'oeuvre. Get the recipe here.
- 3 ears fresh white corn, husked and corn cut from the cob
3/4 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese (3 ounces)
1 cup fine plain panko breadcrumbs, divided
1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
1 tablespoon sour cream
2 tablespoons minced cilantro, divided
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup crème fraîche, for serving
- In a food processor, pulse the corn into a chunky puree. Place in a medium bowl. Add the cheese, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, chives, sour cream, chipotle chile, 1 tablespoon chipotle chiles in adobo, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Form the mixture into small balls and then flatten into patties, each about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and 3/4-inch thick. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Coat the patties in the remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Brush the patties with olive oil and grill until toasted, 4 to 5 minutes each side.
- Arrange the corn cakes on a platter and top with a dollop of crème fraîche.
- Vegetables, Appetizers
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.