Besides being superfast to make, couscous is great because it's like chicken: you can season it virtually however you want. This recipe combines golden couscous with lemon zest, scallions, and arugula for a fresh and delicious side that pairs with everything from garbanzo beans to lamb tagine to roast fish. Ready for the uncomplicated method you'll use over and over again? Then read more.
3 1/3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
3 tablespoons garlic flavored oil
2 3/4 cups couscous
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
4 ounces (about 3 cups) arugula
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the broth until boiling.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan that comes with a lid, then add the couscous and fry, stirring all the time, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the hot broth, still stirring, and keep stirring over a very gentle heat until the stock is absorbed into the couscous, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, leaving the pan where it is, with a tight-fitting lid, for another 10 minutes.
- Fork through the couscous, turning it out into a big bowl. Keep working the couscous with the fork to make it lump-free. Sprinkle in the lemon zest and juice, sliced scallions, salt, and pepper to taste, before adding the arugula leaves and tossing carefully to mix.
- Grains , Side Dishes