Listen up budding home bartenders! I've got an exciting new recipe for you to experiment with. Crafted by Danny Louie of San Francisco's Dosa, the Peony is an exotic mix of coconut milk, hibiscus syrup, fresh lime juice, and gin. The cocktail was created to mimic the flavors of the Indian cuisine served at Dosa. Don't be fooled by the thick pink appearance of this concoction. While it may resemble a strawberry milkshake, the taste and texture are more similar to a piña colada. The coconut milk coats the mouth likening a tropical beach vacation. The heavy lime aroma is tart and fresh, and the gin is only apparent on the smooth finish. In a word this cocktail is fabulous! I first enjoyed it at Nirvino's recent gin seminar and have plans to seek it out again soon.
For those of you who can't get to Dosa, but want to impress your friends with this drink (and mixology skills!) check out the recipe — there's also a video of Danny making it so
1 1/2 oz. gin (recommended: Right gin)
1 oz. Hibiscus Masala Nectar (recipe below)
3/4 oz. sweetened coconut milk
1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
2 drops orange flower water
1 kaffir lime leaf
1 bird's eye chili
lime zest, for garnish
- Dry muddle Kaffir lime leaf and birds eye chili in a shaker tin.
- Add all ingredients and ice.
- Shake vigorously and double strain into a chilled champagne flute, neat.
- Garnish with the fine zest of lime.
Makes 1 drink.
Hibiscus Masala Nectar
1 tsp black peppercorn
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp mustard seed
3 bird's eye chili
2 cups water
8 whole hibiscus
1 cup turbinado or raw sugar
- Grind the first five ingredients in a spice mill. Then place in a small pan. Toast over low heat until fragrant.
- Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar and hibiscus and simmer for 15 min.
- Drinks, Cocktails