This plum pie recipe was uploaded and shared by TJTalks in the Kitchen Goddess group in the YumSugar Community. With those bright red plums and and that flaky crust it looks mouthwatering!
To see more pictures and the recipe, keep reading.
1 1⁄4 cups sugar
3 Tbs. cornstarch or quick-cooking tapioca
1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 1⁄2 lb. plums, pitted and sliced 1⁄4 inch thick
(about 5 cups) (use some firm under ripe fruit and some ripe juicy)
1 Tbs. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 rolled-out basic pie dough round
Vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Place the plums in a large bowl, sprinkle with the sugar mixture and toss to distribute evenly. Immediately transfer to a 10-inch ceramic or glass deep-dish pie dish. Dot with the butter.
- Carefully position the dough round over the plums. Trim the edge neatly, leaving 1 inch of overhang, then place over the fruit, folding the overhang under and pressing against the sides of the dish to seal. Using a small, sharp knife, cut 5 or 6 slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking. Refrigerate the pie until the dough is firm, 20 to 30 minutes. (I did one as described and one with a basket weave — see below.)
- Meanwhile, position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 375°F.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and continue to bake until the crust is golden and the filling is thick and bubbling, 50 to 60 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Serve at room temperature or rewarm in a 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes just before serving.
- To serve, cut into wedges and spoon into individual bowls. Accompany each serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Desserts, Pastries
Have you come across any — or come up with your own! — divine recipes lately? If so, be sure to post them to Kitchen Goddess. It's easy to upload your photos and a description of the experience, and it could be featured on YumSugar! If you're new to the YumSugar Community, here's a detailed guide on posting to groups.