Grilled asparagus is tossed into the rice at the last minute, but if you prefer to use a different vegetable, go right ahead. To learn the uncomplicated technique, keep reading.
3 Tbs. olive oil
2 leeks, white and light green portions, halved, rinsed well and thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 1/4 cups vegetable broth, warmed
1 1/2 lb. asparagus, tough ends trimmed
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
3 Tbs. cold unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- Preheat an oven to 400°F.
- In a 3 1/2-quart wide Dutch oven over medium heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the olive oil. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme and salt and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for 1 minute. Stir in 3 cups of the broth, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pot, transfer to the oven and bake, stirring once halfway through, until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Coat the asparagus with the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Preheat a stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, grill the asparagus, turning occasionally, until tender, 7 to 8 minutes per batch. Cut the asparagus on the bias into 2-inch lengths.
- Stir the remaining 1 1/4 cups broth into the risotto, then stir in the cheese, butter, asparagus, salt and pepper. Spoon the risotto into warmed bowls and serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 6.
- Rice, Main Dishes