As for the menu, start with classic crab cakes — this variation highlights the meaty, pure flavor of crab. For the main course serve a luxuriously rich fettuccine Alfredo. Yes, it's fattening, but it's a special occasion! On the side, offer a mixed green salad with heart shaped beets. For these simple yet stunning recipes,
2 slices firm white sandwich bread
1/2 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
2 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
lemon wedges, for serving
- Tear bread into small pieces into a bowl with crab. Add mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, 2 Tbsp egg (discard remainder), and a pinch of salt. Mix together gently but thoroughly, then form into 4 patties (about 3 inches in diameter).
- Heat butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until foam subsides, then cook crab cakes, turning once, until golden brown, about 6 minutes total.
- Seafood, Appetizers
3/4 pound egg fettuccine
1/2 cup butter, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Salt and pepper
- Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt. Cook the fettuccine in the boiling water according to the package directions, until tender yet al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving the pasta water, and place in a large, heated bowl.
- Add the diced butter and grated cheese and toss with tongs or other utensil until the butter and cheese have melted, adding a splash or two of the pasta cooking water to keep the mixture from getting too "tight." Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately.
- Pasta, Main Dishes
your favorite green salad
- Prepare the beets by roasting or steaming them: To roast, heat oven to 400 degrees, wrap beets tightly in foil, and cook until a fork slides in easily, about 1 hour; to steam, place whole beets in a steamer basket in a medium saucepan, and cook until fork tender, 25 to 60 minutes, depending on their size.
- Peel the beets once they're cooled; for easy peeling, use paper towels to rub skins off.
- Slice peeled beets thinly with a mandoline, and make heart shapes with a cookie cutter. Serve arranged around the edge of favorite green salad.
- Greens , Salads