1 tube (11 oz) refrigerated breadstick dough
1⁄2 stick (1⁄4 cup) butter, melted
2 Tbsp cinnamon-sugar
1 large egg, slightly beaten
48 sliced natural (with skin) almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Crumple 4 large pieces of foil; shape each into a 15 x 2-in. log. Place on a baking sheet.
- Unroll dough. Cut each of the rectangles crosswise in half, then lengthwise into 2 strips. Cut 1 end of each into a fingertip.
- Roll strips in butter and drape over foil logs; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Brush fingertips with beaten egg; press an almond slice “nail” on each. Bake 8 minutes until golden. Serve.
Makes 48 fingers.
- Other, Snacks
2 tablespoons red food coloring
30 blanched almonds
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with Silpats (French nonstick baking mats) or parchment paper, and set aside.
- Place food coloring in a shallow bowl. Using a small paintbrush, color one rounded half of each almond. Set aside to dry.
- Separate 1 egg. Set aside the white. In a small bowl, whisk together yolk, remaining egg, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter, confectioners' sugar, granulated sugar, and salt. Beat on medium speed until well combined. Add egg mixture, and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the flour, and mix on low speed just until incorporated. Wrap the dough in plastic, and chill until firm, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half. Work with one piece at a time, keeping remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and chilled. Divide the first half into fifteen pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece back and forth with palms into finger shapes, 3 to 4 inches long. Pinch dough in two places to form knuckles. Score each knuckle lightly with the back of a small knife. Transfer fingers to prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- When all fingers are formed, brush lightly with egg white. Position almond nails; push into dough to attach.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Cool completely.
Makes 30 fingers.
- Desserts, Cookies