Now that you've made your own vegetable stock, you'll need a delectable vegetable soup recipe to put the stock to good use. This one is easy, hearty, and soothing. The technique to make this soup is similar to making the stock; it starts by roasting a bunch of vegetables in the oven. This concentrates the flavor and softens the texture of the veggies. While the ingredient list calls for tomatoes, leeks, garlic, and carrots, virtually any vegetables you have on hand will work: red peppers, onions, root vegetables, etc. To check out the simple yet satisfying recipe, please
6 beefsteak tomatoes, halved and cored
2 leeks, white and pale-green parts cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In roasting pan, toss tomatoes with leeks, carrots, garlic, and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in a single layer (tomato cut sides down) until tender, 1 hour.
- Using tongs, peel off tomato skins.
- In saucepan, bring vegetables, vegetable broth, and 1 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- In batches, puree in blender. Stir in basil.
- Main Dishes, Soup