Searching for an interesting and unexpected meal to feed your family? Look no further than this shrimp and noodle stir-fry. It comes together in less time than it takes to order out and is full of flavor and textures. The shrimp is tossed with bell peppers, pea pods, bok choy, and green onions before being coated in a simple sauce made from hoisin and orange juice. Use the recipe as a guide and substitute in tofu, mushrooms, broccoli, or whatever veggies you have on hand. To get the details, keep reading.
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined cooked shrimp or tub-style firm tofu, drained and cubed
2 3-ounce packages shrimp- or mushroom-flavored ramen noodles
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil or cooking oil
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 medium red or yellow sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
3/4 cup fresh pea pods, strings and tips removed, or 1/2 of a 6-ounce package frozen pea pods, thawed
2 cups chopped bok choy
1/3 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup bottled hoisin or stir-fry sauce
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen, removing tails. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a 3-quart saucepan cook noodles with seasoning packet according to package directions. Drain noodles. Return noodles to pan and toss with toasted sesame oil. Snip through noodles several times with kitchen scissors. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add pepper strips; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add pea pods and bok choy; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add shrimp or tofu, green onions, hoisin sauce, orange juice, and crushed pepper, if using; cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- To serve, place noodles on serving plates. Spoon the shrimp mixture over noodles and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Main Dishes, Shellfish
- Other Asian
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.