Perfectly coddled eggs and ham on an English muffin: what's not to like? Although a grand breakfast like eggs Benedict might usually be reserved for weekends, we've happened upon National Eggs Benedict Day, so there's no excuse not to eat the country's favorite brunch item at just about any hour today.
Before you get started poaching your own eggs, however, take a look at the variations you might want to take on for this American classic.
- Eggs Florentine: poached eggs and spinach atop an English muffin with hollandaise sauce.
- Eggs Royale: poached eggs and smoked salmon atop an English muffin with hollandaise sauce.
- Eggs Blackstone: poached eggs, side bacon (that'd be the type most commonly seen in America), and a tomato slice atop an English muffin with hollandaise sauce.
- Eggs Sardou: poached eggs and creamed spinach atop artichoke bottoms with hollandaise sauce; a specialty of New Orleans.
- Eggs Provençal: poached eggs and ham atop an English muffin, served with béarnaise sauce in place of hollandaise.
- Eggs Beauregard: fried eggs and sausage patties atop an American biscuit, served with country gravy in lieu of hollandaise sauce.
What's your favorite twist on eggs Benny — or do you prefer the tried-and-true classic?