- Start with a good pot that has a lid. Emeril says, "There's no need for a fancy machine like a rice cooker."
- Add butter or oil to the pan and heat until melted.
- Add the rice, salt, and pepper to the butter. Let it cook for several minutes, until the "rice is coated in oil or butter."
- If using any seasonings — "saffron, arugula, smoked paprika, garlic, etc." — add it to the rice now, while sautéing.
- Pour in the liquid. You should always have three parts liquid to one part rice. "The liquid usually covers the rice in the pot by 1/4 an inch."
- Cover with the lid and cook, leaving it alone, for 20 minutes. "The reason we have lids is to hold condensation. Don't keep opening it while it's cooking!"
- After 20 minutes the rice is ready. Fluff with a fork and enjoy.
Have you ever seen Emeril live? What did you learn from the master chef?