When I order Chinese food, one of my preferred dishes is broccoli beef. I love the slippery sauce, the chewy beef, and the crisp broccoli. However, I rarely enjoy this combination at home. When cooking Chinese, I prefer to make healthier variations of my restaurant favorites.
That's why I'm excited for this recipe of chicken with broccoli. It combines skinless, boneless chicken breasts with broccoli and bamboo shoots. The sauce is a mixture of ginger, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. For a complete meal, I'll serve with baked brown rice. To redo this classic takeout item, get the recipe and
1 pound broccoli -- use fresh broccoli for best results
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 3⁄4-inch cubes
3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
11⁄2 teaspoons sugar
4 tablespoons canola oil
2 slices unpeeled fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, crushed with the side of a knife and peeled
1 (8-ounce) can sliced bamboo shoots, drained
1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Trim and peel the broccoli stalks. Chop the flower heads from the stalks and cut into florets. Slice the peeled stalks into bite-size pieces.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and wine. Add the chicken and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar, and 2 tablespoons water.
- In a wok or stir-fry pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil over high heat until hot but not smoking. Test by dipping a piece of broccoli in the oil; it should sizzle. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons water, reduce the heat to medium, and cover the pan. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli turns a darker green and is tender-crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a shallow dish.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of canola oil to the same pan and place over high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and stir until the oil is hot and the ginger and garlic sizzle. Stir up the chicken mixture and add it to the pan. Cook, stirring, until the chicken turns white, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove and discard the ginger and garlic, if desired. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the soy sauce mixture. Add the bamboo shoots, return the broccoli to the pan, and cook, stirring constantly, until all the ingredients are heated and well blended and the chicken is cooked through. Drizzle with sesame oil and mix well. Serve immediately.
- Poultry, Main Dishes