Although I love both Alfredo and pesto sauce, I had never thought of combining the two! If you are stuck in a boring chicken and pasta rut, try this recipe for a pasta flavor fusion. Start with a quick and simple Alfredo sauce and mix in several tablespoons of pesto to create a dish that is full of depth. If you dislike red peppers, feel free to substitute fresh or sun dried tomatoes or steamed broccoli. To experiment with this recipe tonight,
8 oz. (1/2 of 16-oz. pkg.) angel hair pasta, uncooked
2 tsp. oil
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
2 cups milk
1/2 cup (1/2 of 8-oz) cream cheese
1 large red pepper, cut into strips or 1 1/2 cups roasted red pepper strips
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. pesto
1 tbsp lemon zest, optional
1/2 cup pitted dry cured olives, optional
- Cook pasta as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 7 min. or until cooked through.
- Stir in milk and cream cheese spread; cook 3 min. or until cream cheese spread is completely melted and mixture is well blended.
- Add peppers, Parmesan cheese and pesto; stir. If using the lemon zest and olives add to mixture as well. Cook 3 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pasta. Add to cream cheese mixture; toss to coat.