When I was younger I loved to order Mexican pizzas from Taco Bell. Now that I'm older and steer clear of fast-food joints, I like to make a similar tortilla pie in the comforts of my kitchen. This is a meatless version that features two types of beans: pinto and black. Tortillas are layered with salsa, beans, cheese, and cilantro. The entire thing is baked in the oven until crisp. Serve with guacamole and sour cream for a fabulous fiesta!
Take a look at the recipe when you
2 cans (about 15 oz. each) pinto beans, drained
1 cup hot or medium salsa
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 can (about 15 oz.) black beans, drained
1 small tomato, chopped
7 flour tortillas (8-inch)
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Mash pinto beans. Stir in 3/4 cup salsa and garlic.
- Mix remaining salsa, cilantro, black beans and tomato.
- Place 1 tortilla on baking sheet. Spread 3/4 cup pinto bean mixture over tortilla to within 1/2" of edge. Top with 1/4 cup cheese. Top with 1 tortilla and 2/3 cup black bean mixture. Top with 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice more.
- Top with remaining tortilla and spread with remaining pinto bean mixture. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 400°F. for 40 min. or until hot. Uncover. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cut into wedges. Serve with additional salsa and sprinkle with additional cilantro if desired.