I enjoy updating classic dishes by giving them a modern twist. It makes a meal more exciting by adding a new flavor experience to the mix. For tonight, I propose that we overhaul the quintessential applesauce and pork chops combination. Crisp diced apple will replace the apple sauce and pork tenderloin replaces the pork chops. Couscous, chipotle in adobo, and vinegar create a delicious layering of flavors. Worried that experimenting with new techniques and tastes will take up more time? Have no fear because this dinner comes together rapidly in a simple, uncomplicated process. Impress your family with tonight's dinner, get the recipe:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup diced peeled Granny Smith apple
1 cup finely chopped onion, divided
1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
1 cup apple juice, divided
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 cup uncooked couscous
1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add apple and 1/2 cup onion; sauté 7 minutes or until tender. Add cumin; sauté 20 seconds. Add 3/4 cup broth, 1/2 cup juice, vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil.
- Gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- While couscous stands, heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Cut pork crosswise into 12 pieces. Sprinkle both sides of pork with 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Add pork to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- Add 1/2 cup onion to pan, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Remove 1 chile from can; reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Finely chop chile. Add the chopped chile, 3/4 cup broth, and 1/2 cup juice to pan, and bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until sauce is reduced to 2/3 cup.
- Serve pork and sauce over couscous.
Nutritional Information: CALORIES 339(15% from fat); FAT 5.5g (sat 1.6g,mono 2.6g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 29.7g; CHOLESTEROL 74mg; CALCIUM 30mg; SODIUM 543mg; FIBER 3g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 40.8g