This vegetarian pasta salad makes a great summer meal. It's packed with grilled veggies (eggplant, mushrooms, and green onions) and fresh flavors (lime and ginger). The balanced and healthy pasta comes together quickly and simply. Grilled chicken or steak would be excellent additions. To learn how to make it, read more.
4 Japanese eggplants, unpeeled, cut on diagonal into 1/3-inch-thick slices
8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
2 bunches green onions, trimmed
1/4 cup Asian sesame oil
1 6-ounce package dried chuka soba (Japanese-style) noodles*
1 8-ounce package sugar snap peas, trimmed
7 tablespoons hoisin sauce
3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
1 1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Combine first 3 ingredients; add Asian sesame oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables until tender, turning often, about 7 minutes for eggplant and mushrooms and 5 minutes for green onions.
- Transfer mushrooms and onions to cutting board; cool slightly. Slice mushrooms and onions.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until almost tender but still firm to bite, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar snap peas to noodles; cook 1 minute longer. Drain well. Transfer noodle mixture to large serving bowl. Add grilled vegetables.
- Whisk last 4 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Toss noodle salad with dressing; season with salt and pepper.
*The cooking time of Japanese-style chuka soba noodles varies by a minute or two depending on the brand of noodle. Test them after three minutes to avoid overcooking.
- Main Dishes, Pasta
- Other Asian