With their meaty texture and wide availability, mushrooms are often a go-to ingredient in vegetarian cooking. However, as with chicken, it can be easy to get stuck in a rut cooking the same boring mushroom dishes.
Not true with this recipe: it takes chunks of portobello mushrooms and sautes them with onions until soft and tender. These veggies are mixed with a spicy chipotle barbecue sauce before being folded into a tortilla. For extra heat, use pepper jack cheese instead of Monterey jack. Get the recipe when you
1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1 pound portobello mushroom caps (about 5 medium), gills removed, diced
1 medium onion, finely diced
4 8- to 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Combine barbecue sauce, tomato paste, vinegar and chipotle in a medium bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until the onion and mushrooms are beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the barbecue sauce; stir to combine. Wipe out the pan.
- Place tortillas on a work surface. Spread 3 tablespoons cheese on half of each tortilla and top with one-fourth (about 1/2 cup) of the filling. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 2 quesadillas and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into wedges and serve.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 311 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrate; 11 g protein; 5 g fiber; 710 mg sodium; 771 mg potassium. Potassium (22% daily value), Calcium (19% dv). 2 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
- Sandwiches, Main Dishes