Take a Tex-Mex vacation with these vegetarian tacos. A simple but flavorful mixture of black beans, corn, fresh zucchini, and prepared enchilada sauce makes a delicious filling. The recipe is incredibly versatile, so feel free to get creative. Mushrooms are a tasty alternative to zucchini, and any type of bean can be substituted for the black beans. Learn the technique when you
- Black Bean and Corn Filling
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, diced
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1/2 cup mild enchilada sauce
- 2 6- to 8-inch corn or flour tortillas
- Toppings, Optional
- Vegan sour cream or low-fat sour cream
- Chopped scallions
- Grated Monterey Jack cheese or vegan cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- To make Black Bean and Corn Filling: put all ingredients into a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover, and cook for approximately 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until heated through.
- To prepare Tortillas: preheat a cast-iron skillet or griddle on stove over medium-high heat. Lay tortillas in single layer on skillet or griddle for about 10 seconds. Turn and warm other side. Remove from heat, and wrap in a napkin or dishcloth until ready to assemble tacos.
- To assemble, set a tortilla on a plate, and spoon on some filling. Top as desired, roll up and eat.
- Main Dishes, Beans