Before you start making a new dinner dish, it's important to completely read the recipe. For example tonight's vegetarian meal can be made in thirty minutes as long as you multi-task. While the veggies do their thing in the oven, get the black beans cooking on the stove. While both of these parts cook, prepare the taco's toppings. Tacos are an excellent menu choice for last minute entertaining, they can be paired with store bought guacamole and cool bottles of beer for a meal that is hearty and simple. Get the recipe now so when your husband asks what's for dinner you can tell him tacos (doesn't every guy love tacos??), just
Roasted Peppers and Onions
3 red bell peppers, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
1 large onion, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium-size onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
6 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 Tbs.)
2 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz. can diced organic fire-roasted tomatoes
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 Tbs. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. hot sauce, or more to taste
16 organic corn taco shells, warmed
3 cups shredded lettuce
1 16-oz. container prepared salsa
2 large tomatoes, diced (2 cups)
2 avocados, diced (about 2 cups)
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup low-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- To make roasted peppers and onions: toss peppers and onion with oil on large baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Roast 15 minutes, stir, and roast 15 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender and peppers are beginning to blacken. Transfer to small bowl.
- Meanwhile, make tacos: heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft.
- Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more, or until fragrant. Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce and 1 cup water. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Mash beans until filling is thickened, but chunky, and most beans remain intact. Adjust seasonings, if necessary. Transfer to serving bowl.
- Pass taco shells, filling, roasted peppers and onions and toppings around the table.
PER SERVING: 482 CAL; 16 G PROT; 22 G TOTAL FAT ( 5 SAT. FAT) ; 57 G CARB.; 17 MG CHOL; 665 MG SOD.; 12 G FIBER; 14 G SUGARS