Bread salad is a popular Summer dish, but that doesn't mean it can't be modified for Fall. Instead of the classic tomatoes and basil, this recipe calls for a more seasonal butternut squash and sage. To cut down kitchen prep, bake the butternut squash and the bread ahead of time. To get this comfort recipe,
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubes peeled and seeded butternut squash
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
Pepper to taste
4 cups (1-inch) cubes baguette or other crusty bread
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped sage
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
4 to 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
Queso fresco or feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
- In a large bowl, toss together squash, 1 tablespoon of the oil, capers, garlic and pepper.
- Transfer to a large baking sheet and bake, tossing occasionally, until tender and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss together bread, 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil, sage and salt. Transfer to a second large baking sheet and bake, tossing halfway through, until toasted and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Set both squash and bread aside as done to let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, zest, vinegar, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper to make a dressing. Add lettuce, onions, squash and bread and toss gently to coat. Transfer to plates, top with cheese (if using) and serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 6.
Nutrition per serving (about 9oz/242g-wt.): 290 calories (150 from fat), 17g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 32g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 6g protein
- Salads, Main Dishes
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.