Chicken is the most versatile, blank canvas of meats because it takes on the flavor of the surrounding seasonings. Tonight make a scrumptious chicken flavored with a sweet chutney made from tart, dried cherries. Apples and walnuts add crunch to the chutney. The pan-fried chicken is pretty and delicious with the sauce spooned over it. For the simple recipe,
- 4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, each cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup dried tart red cherries
- 1 large apple, thinly sliced across fruit and seeded
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 tsp. packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- Lightly sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of the ginger.
- In skillet cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat 12 minutes (chicken is no longer pink). Transfer to serving platter; cover, keep warm.
- Add fruit and nuts to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes.
- For sauce, stir together brown sugar, 1/4 cup water, vinegar, and remaining ginger. Add to skillet; cook and stir 30 seconds. Add chicken back to the pan and toss to coat with the sauce, fruit, and nuts. Serve with more sauce poured over the chicken.
- Poultry, Main Dishes
- North American