When the weather is cold and stormy, cooking a fragrant and exotic meal is a delicious way to awaken your senses. A chicken curry, rich with lemongrass and ginger, is an excellent dish that will tantalize your tastebuds. The thick smell will warm your kitchen and the colorful sweet potatoes and carrots will brighten your plate. Coconut milk provides a lush texture and red chili flakes add a touch of heat. For the recipe,
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup sliced onions or shallots
2 stalks fresh lemongrass, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
5 slices fresh ginger
3 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized chunks, or 2 pounds whole bone-in chicken thighs or legs
1 to 2 tablespoons fish sauce (optional)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes or chili-garlic sauce
3 1/2 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 can (15 ounces) sweet potatoes, drained
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) carrots, drained
2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- In a large, deep saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat for one minute.
- Add the onions, lemongrass, and ginger, and cook 1-to-2 minutes, tossing now and then until the onions are shiny and translucent.
- Add the curry powder and garlic, and cook 1-to-2 minutes, tossing once or twice, until the mixture is fragrant and softened.
- Add the chicken, spreading it in one layer if you can, and cook for one minute. Toss well and cook until the chicken changes color and begins to brown.
- Add the fish sauce, sugar and chili flakes, and toss again. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer 10-to-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Then remove the lemongrass chunks and add the sweet potatoes and carrots, letting the curry simmer another 1-to-3 minutes, until they are heated through. Stir in the lime or lemon juice, transfer curry dish to a serving bowl and serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 350; Total fat 13g (Saturated fat 6g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 600mg; Carbohydrate 29g (Fiber 5g); Protein 31g