With hundreds of varieties and endless combination possibilities, I consider chicken salad to be one of the most versatile dishes around. Tonight's dinner salad consists of grilled, flattened chicken breasts and fresh peppery greens, tossed with a creamy avocado dressing. Bursts of vibrant color come from yellow peppers and cherry red tomatoes. Surprisingly, the smooth dressing comes not from mayonnaise, but from a few tablespoons of cream cheese. Sound tasty? Make it and taste for yourself! Get the recipe, just
2 skinless chicken breasts, 6 ounces each
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 small yellow pepper, seeded and sliced
2 1⁄2 ounces mixed fresh rocket, spinach and watercress leaves
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 spring onions, sliced diagonally
1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, to garnish
1 avocado, peeled, stoned and chopped
Juice and zest of 1 lime
3 tablespoons fromage frais or cream cheese at room temperature
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1⁄4 teaspoon dried crushed chilli
- Put the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of cling film and flatten with the end of rolling pin. Heat a griddle pan and brush with the oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and griddle for about 2-4 minutes each side, until cooked through.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the pepper to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until tender.
- Blend together the ingredients for the dressing and season well.
- Peel the pepper slices. Arrange the salad leaves on 2 plates, then add the pepper, tomatoes and spring onions. Spoon over the dressing.
- Slice the chicken and place on top of the salad, then sprinkle with cilantro.