In order to make the classic Caesar salad worthy of a main dish, chicken is usually added. However you can make it a vegetarian friendly option by adding a bunch of fresh, chopped veggies instead. It's a crisp and delicious meal that pairs nicely with a chilled glass of Chardonnay. If you are fearful of Caesar dressings that include anchovies, you are in luck! This one is anchovy free! For the recipe please read more
4 ears corn on the cob or 3 cups canned corn kernels, drained
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 medium-sized head romaine lettuce, leaves separated
4 large eggs
1 ½ cups garlic croutons
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
¾ cup olive oil
1 tsp. minced garlic, or to taste
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- If using fresh corn, carefully slice kernels from cobs and place in saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again and refrigerate until serving time.
- Meanwhile, cook eggs in rapidly boiling water for 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and run under cold water until cool. Peel and set aside until serving time.
- Trim off stem end of lettuce and rinse each leaf well. Dry thoroughly and break into bite-sized pieces. Place in salad bowl.
- To make dressing, whisk together 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, mustard and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add diced peppers and cooled corn to lettuce. Toss with croutons. Grate cooled eggs over top and toss with dressing. Garnish salad with remaining 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese and serve.