After yesterday's holiday binging, tonight I'm in the mood for a no-cook meal of something light, meatless, and full of flavor. A sandwich layered with sweet stone fruit, fresh basil, smooth cream cheese, and tart cucumber is the ideal meal for when I hardly feel like squeezing into a bikini. The crisp arugula adds a nice crunch, and the whole wheat bread gives it that healthy touch. This sandwich also makes a great picnic dish when kept chilled in a cooler. Pair with a glass of nice white wine and a dollop of yesterday's leftover potato salad.
1 large cucumber
1/2 of an 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
8 slices firm-textured whole wheat bread
2 large apricots or 1 nectarine, pitted and thinly sliced
1/2 cup arugula leaves or cilantro sprigs
- Peel cucumber. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Thinly slice cucumber; set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the cream cheese, basil, and, if desired, 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon cheese mixture on one side of each bread slice.
- Top four bread slices with cucumber, apricot, and arugula. Top with remaining bread slices, cream cheese side down.
- To serve, cut each sandwich in half diagonally.