- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 of a vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 lb. thin green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces (3 to 3 1/2 cups) plus 1/2 lb. steamed green beans
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, onion, and vanilla bean to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Discard vanilla bean.
- In a small bowl, stir together the butter and flour. Whisk into broth mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Add beans to broth mixture. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes more or until beans are crisp-tender.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish with steamed green beans.
- Main Dishes, Soup