A rich and hearty posole is the perfect vegetarian meal for a chilly Fall evening. Thanks to the green chilies, this version packs a spicy, warming punch. Most of the ingredients are common pantry items, and the thick soup comes together in a quick 20 minutes. The recipe calls for fresh lime juice and fragrant cilantro as garnish, but feel free to top with your favorite Mexican fixings.
Thinly sliced radishes and finely grated cheese are equally divine add-ons. To learn the technique,
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) no-salt added diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced, peeled green chilies, drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) posole (whole-white hominy), drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 24 unsalted, yellow corn tortilla chips, finely crushed
- Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons chopped, fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, chilies, posole, cumin, chicken broth and crushed tortilla chips; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly thickened.
- Stir in lime juice, lime zest and cilantro. Enjoy.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 90; Total fat 1.5g; Saturated fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 590mg; Carbohydrate 18g; Fiber 3g; Protein 3g; Vitamin A 6%DV*; Vitamin C 30%DV; Calcium 2%DV; Iron 6%DV
- Main Dishes, Soup