This scrumptious grilled pizza is so packed with layers of flavor, one would never guess it's quite simple to put together.
Ideal for entertaining, this recipe combines store-bought shortcuts with highly seasoned ingredients like lamb sausage and smoked mozzarella. Instead of a classic tomato sauce, black olive tapenade is slathered on the dough.
To learn how it's made,
12 ounces raw spicy lamb sausage (ideally Merguez sausage)
1 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into thin ribbons with a vegetable peeler or mandoline
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided Kosher salt to taste
1/4 cup uncooked grits or polenta, for rolling the dough
1 ball prepared pizza dough, at room temperature
1/4 cup store-bought olive tapenade
1 1/2 cups grated smoked mozzarella cheese
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Leaves from 4 sprigs fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the sausage from the casing and “scramble” in the pan, breaking up any clumps, until fully cooked. Drain on paper towels and reserve for topping.
- Preheat the grill.
- Brush the zucchini with 1 tablespoon of the oil and lightly salt. Gently place on the cooking grate directly over the heat and grill until soft and well marked, about 3 minutes. Reserve for topping.
- Roll out and shape the dough, then grill the first side of the crust per the master instructions. Use tongs to transfer it from the grill to a peel or rimless baking sheet. Flip the crust to reveal the grilled side.
- Spread the entire surface with the olive puree, then top with the crumbled lamb.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella, then add the onion rings, zucchini, and tomatoes. Sprinkle the feta over all.
- Finish grilling the pizza.
- Remove from the grill, sprinkle with the oregano, and season with salt and pepper. Slice and serve immediately.
Makes 1 pizza.
- Main Dishes, Pizza