Why not start the weekend with a spicy, fragrant chicken? This chicken is rubbed with a mixture of spices typical to Jerk seasoning: paprika, allspice, cayenne, and garlic powder. Although the recipe roasts the chicken in the oven, it would be equally delicious cooked on a grill. The corn bread accompaniment is simply a jazzed-up box variation. Paired with an icy cold beer, this makes a delicious dinner. Get the recipe now and
- 2 bunches scallions, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 4-pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 8.5-ounce box corn muffin mix
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Thinly slice the dark green tips of 4 scallions; set aside. Place the remaining scallions in a roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the paprika, garlic powder, allspice, nutmeg, cayenne, salt, black pepper, oil, lime juice, and molasses. Spread the spice mixture over and under the chicken skin. Place the chicken on top of the scallions. Roast until the chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the corn muffin mix according to the package directions. Stir in the jalapeno and reserved sliced scallions and scrape the batter into a greased 8-inch-square pan. Place in oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with the roasted scallions, corn bread, and lime wedges, if desired.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES 893.44(43% from fat); FAT 42.81g (sat 11.03g); CHOLESTEROL 238.97mg; CALCIUM 147.84mg; CARBOHYDRATE 59.78g; SODIUM 1141.23mg; PROTEIN 66.01mg; FIBER 7.47g; IRON 7.59mg
- Poultry, Main Dishes