Can't wait for Thanksgiving? This Tex-Mex-style meal is for you! It uses classic Thanksgiving ingredients to create a lasagna-like dish. Turkey is tossed with stir-fried vegetables, enchilada sauce, and cranberry sauce. The mixture is layered with cheese between corn tortillas before being baked until crisp and gooey. This dish is also a great way to transform leftovers. Feel free to substitute chicken for the turkey, if that's what you have on hand. To look at the recipe,
- 1 lb. turkey breast tenderloin, cut in bite-size strips
- 1 16-oz. pkg. frozen sweet peppers and onions stir-fry vegetables
- 1 10-oz. can enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 9 6-inch corn tortillas, halved
- 1 8 oz. pkg. Mexican blend shredded cheese (2 cups)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Position oven rack toward top of oven. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In extra-large skillet cook turkey in 1 tablespoon hot cooking oil over medium heat 4 minutes or until no longer pink. Add frozen vegetables, enchilada sauce, and cranberry sauces. Bring to boiling. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- In 2-quart baking dish layer one-third of the tortillas, then one-third of the cheese.
- Use a slotted spoon to layer half the turkey-vegetable mixture. Layer one-third tortillas, one-third cheese, remaining turkey-vegetables (with slotted spoon), and remaining tortillas. Spoon on remaining sauce from skillet; sprinkle remaining cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut in squares. Serve with lime and cilantro.
- Poultry, Main Dishes