A great staple to incorporate into your weekly diet is the grain quinoa. Like couscous, quinoa takes on the flavors of its surrounding ingredients. In this recipe, the quinoa is tossed with crunchy peppers, cool cucumbers, and salty olives. Although cheese is not one of the components, crumbled feta or goat cheese would be delicious stirred in with the vegetables. To experiment with quinoa tonight,
1 cup quinoa
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium clove garlic, minced
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/4 cup sliced kalamata or other good-quality black olives
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, make dressing: in small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine peppers, cucumber, olives, onion and parsley. Mix well.
- Add dressing and toss to coat.
- Add quinoa, stir gently but thoroughly to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Main Dishes, Grains
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern