A refreshing take on classic macaroni and cheese, this delicious pasta dinner is a mix of decadent cream, salty cheese, and fresh herbs. Although the sauce is made with cream and cheese, in moderation, this pasta is far from heavy. The fragrant mint provides a tangy coolness and the peas burst in your mouth.
The vegetarian recipe follows a simple technique that's adaptable: Mushrooms, asparagus, and sun dried tomatoes would be wonderful add ins. To see the recipe,
1 16-ounce package large shell pasta or elbow pasta
1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
1 16-ounce package frozen petite peas (do not thaw)
2 1/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley, divided
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot.
- Meanwhile, bring cream to simmer in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add peas and simmer just until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 2 1/4 cups cheese and stir until melted and sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute.
- Stir in mint and 1/4 cup parsley.
- Pour sauce over pasta and toss to coat, adding pasta cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls if dry. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
- Serve, passing additional Parmesan alongside.
- Main Dishes, Pasta