Although I enjoy eating radicchio, I rarely cook it at home. However, I've decided to change that by incorporating it into my everyday meal plans. With its gorgeous red pink color, radicchio has a bitter taste that softens when cooked. For tonight's dinner, the radicchio is paired with whole wheat pasta, parmesan cheese, and a store bought roast chicken. It's a delicious, quick meal that will introduce your family to a new flavor. It's Friday, so why not pair it with a glass of red wine? Sound scrumptious? Wait till you see the recipe,
1 pound whole-wheat penne
1 head radicchio, torn into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 2-pound roasted chicken, skin discarded, meat removed from bones and shredded (4 cups)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Place radicchio and the reserved liquid in the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, oil, chicken, vinegar and pepper and continue cooking until the cheese starts to melt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve the pasta garnished with walnuts and the remaining cheese.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 463 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrate; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 223 mg sodium.